Family Dentistry in Barrie, ON
Taking care of families is one of our favourite things to do at Park Place Dental! We know it’s convenient when families can see the same dental team, so we strive to create an environment that every member of the family feels comfortable in. You’ll find that our doctors are friendly and caring, and our Barrie, ON team of dental professionals is friendly and welcoming.
- What dental services are included with family dentistry?
- How often should me and my family visit the dentist?
- What can I expect with a visit to the dentist for preventive care?
- Why do I need dental x-rays?
- Do you provide dentistry for children?
- At what age should I bring my child to the dentist?
- What types of dental services do you provide for adults?
- What type of preventive care do you recommend?
- How do I know if I have gum disease?
- What if I have anxiety about visiting the dentist?
- I need to make a dental appointment; what should I do?
What dental services are included with family dentistry?
Family dentistry at our Barrie, ON dental office encompasses all of the preventive treatments and most of the other dental procedures you and your family need to obtain and maintain good oral health. These include:
- Preventive checkups and cleanings twice a year
- Diagnostic digital x-rays
- Oral cancer screening
- Restorative care, including tooth-coloured fillings and dental crowns
- Tooth replacement options, including bridges, dentures, partial dentures, and dental implants
- Periodontal care for gum disease
- Root canal therapy
- Tooth extractions
- Cosmetic dentistry, including teeth whitening, veneers, and Invisalign clear braces
How often should my family visit the dentist?
We recommend that you and your family visit the dentist twice a year—every six months—for preventive examinations and professional teeth cleaning. By visiting our Barrie, ON dental clinic biannually, our dentists can stay on top of your oral health, detecting potential problems while they are still small. With family dentistry, the earlier we can spot an issue, the easier, less invasive, and less expensive the treatment.
What can I expect with a visit to the dentist for preventive care?
Your preventive care visit to our Barrie, ON dental office will include a tooth-by-tooth examination, assessment of your gum health, an oral cancer screening, and a professional teeth cleaning. About once a year for most patients, we also recommend that you undergo diagnostic digital x-rays. These enable our dentists to spot problems that are not yet visible to the naked eye.
Why do I need dental x-rays?
Dental x-rays are an important diagnostic tool at our Barrie, ON dental clinic. Without them, our dentists would not be able to spot dental issues that have begun below the surface and that are not yet apparent in a visual examination. Dental x-rays mean our patients can get treatment to fix small problems rather than large ones.
Do you provide dentistry for children?
We love to welcome children to Park Place Dental starting at the age of one year old, and Dr. Moore is passionate about working with children to create positive dental experiences for them early on.
We want to build a relationship with your child based on trust and respect, so we take a lot of time to help them acclimate to our office and the instruments we use. This will help them feel comfortable every time they visit. We explain everything we’re doing in a way they can understand, and we won’t move forward with any procedure until your child is comfortable and ready.
It is our hope that they will enjoy coming to the dentist and learning the importance of their oral health now and in the future.
At what age should I bring my child to the dentist?
We recommend that parents bring kids to our Barrie, ON dental clinic when their first tooth erupts, which is usually around the age of 12 months. Your child’s initial dental visits are mostly about getting them accustomed to sitting in the dental chair and learning that the dentist office is not a place to fear. Children who go to the dentist regularly tend to grow up to be adults who do the same.
What types of dental services do you provide for adults?
Our adult patients will find a wide range of comprehensive services at Park Place Dental designed to
meet their needs and delivered with state-of-the-art technology and their comfort in mind. Whether you need a tooth repaired, replaced, or you’d like to enhance the appearance of your smile, we can work with you to create a treatment plan that meets your goals, lifestyle, and budget.
Patients will find advanced services such as Botox procedures, or comprehensive implant dentistry that includes bone grafting if necessary. Many of the services you’ll find at Park Place Dental are not offered at other practices. In fact, you’ll find that you are rarely if ever, referred anywhere else for aspects of your care because Dr. Joo and Dr. Moore are extensively trained in many different fields of dentistry. We are your one-stop shop in Barrie, ON for family dentistry.
What types of preventive care do you recommend?
Preventive care is the cornerstone of our practice, and we’ll recommend cleanings and examinations every six months in order to help you maintain optimum oral health. Routine visits allow us to detect any issues early on and monitor any areas of concern so you’ll be offered the least invasive treatment procedures.
How do I know if I have gum disease?
The only way to know for sure if your gums are healthy is to visit the dentist on a regular basis. In many cases, early gum disease can be present without any symptoms at all. Patients who do not visit their dentist regularly might have gum disease that goes untreated—and just gets worse. In its earliest stages, gum disease can often be reversed with a deep cleaning. When it takes hold, however, it can only be managed rather than cured.
Because gum disease often leads to tooth loss, it is crucial that it be treated. Some of the signs include:
- Bleeding after brushing and flossing
- Gums that are dark red and swollen
- Persistent bad breath
- Pockets of pus that have formed along the gum line
- Teeth that look longer than normal because of receded gums
What if I have anxiety about visiting the dentist?
Patients who feel fearful about dentistry can relax at Park Place Dental because we offer different options for dental sedation at our Barrie, ON dental clinic designed to meet your needs whether your anxiety is mild or severe.
We offer the following forms of sedation:
- Nitrous oxide—an odourless, colourless gas that is breathed in through a mask over the nose. It provides an almost instant feeling of euphoria and leaves the body just as quickly. Patients are fully conscious while using nitrous, but they are entirely relaxed during treatment.
- Oral sedation—a pill that is taken about an hour prior to treatment. The medication will give patients a relaxed, drowsy feel during their procedure, and many won’t even remember their treatment afterward.
- IV sedation—administered intravenously with careful monitoring during the entire procedure. Patients who are undergoing oral surgery or a particularly long procedure might be good candidates for this sedation option.
I need to make a dental appointment; what should I do?
If you’re ready to experience dentistry at a level you probably haven’t before, we encourage you to contact Park Place Dental in Barrie, ON today to schedule your next dental appointment. We warmly welcome new patients, and we can’t wait to meet you and your family!