Having a tooth removed doesn't have to be a daunting experience. Your team at Park Place Dental is here to support you before, during, and after your tooth extraction in Barrie to ensure that you have a smooth recovery.
While there are different types of extraction, you can expect to recover for seven to ten days in most cases. Forming and keeping a blood clot in the extraction site is critical for comfortable healing. If your blood clot comes out too early, you may develop a painful condition known as dry socket that could prolong your healing process.
Guidelines for Tooth Extraction Aftercare
Here are some helpful guidelines to follow for tooth extraction aftercare and avoiding dry socket:
- Use painkillers as prescribed and as needed
- Apply ice ten minutes on and ten minutes off to help reduce swelling
- Stick to soft foods the first couple of days after your surgery
- Avoid smoking, spitting, or drinking through a straw after surgery as it can loosen the blood clot
- Rest for the first 24 hours after your surgery, and limit activity for the next few days
- Continue your brushing and flossing routine during recovery, being careful to avoid the extraction site
Contact our Barrie Dental Office
If you have additional questions or concerns during your recovery, don't hesitate to contact your team at Park Place Dental.